2017 Summer Institute
Located in Gallup, New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment Opera Institute was founded in 2009 in order to refine the talents of gifted young singers looking to hone their skills in a pre-professional environment. This five week training program consists of instruction and coachings for each student, as well as master classes with an all-star faculty. Additionally, students will sing in several public concerts, including scenes performances, the yearly donors’ dinner, and other events scheduled throughout the program. Students will also participate in Alexander technique classes, Italian classes, and acting seminars.
The goal of the Land of Enchantment Opera Institute is to provide students with a top-notch learning experience in order to bridge the gap between an undergraduate or graduate degree program and entering the world of professional opera performance. In order to ensure that students receive the best possible education during their time in Gallup, the audition process is highly selective and competitive. Approximately 25 talented young singers are selected out of the audition pool and invited to receive the intense vocal training, personalized attention, and high quality instruction offered by the faculty, each of whom is a recognized master in his or her field. Our young singers have gone on to perform in some of the most famous venues both in America and abroad. Distinguished alumni include baritone Nathan Myers of Deutsche Opera Berlin and bass-baritone Jeremy Milner of San Francisco Opera and Philadelphia Opera.
- Operas: Gianni Schicchi and Suor Angelica
- Main Stage Role or Cover for 2 performances at the El Morro Theatre.
- Featured artist at “Opera and Wine” concert, “5 Courses of Opera” dinner and concert, and Sacred Music Concert.
- Scenes program/30 Days of Opera concert series.
- Regular musical coachings with the conductor and other coaches in the program.
- Diction Classes
- “Translation” Table Read
- Italian Language Classes
- Extensive Recitative Technique Rehearsal
- Alexander Technique.
Tuition and Housing
$2900 tuition (not including housing). Tuition scholarships available.
$1200 housing per participant – Double occupancy hotel room at the Historic El Rancho Hotel, shared with another participant. Hotel also has a restaurant, lounge. swimming pool and outdoor bbq/picnic areas. Single rooms are available for $1800 for the duration of the program. Scholarship is not available for housing.
Transportation to/from New Mexico is not included with tuition, however, transportation will be provided from Albuquerque International Sunport to/from Gallup.
Recorded Audition Requirements
Applications to the Land of Enchantment Opera Institute must be completed by April 4, 2016. You can apply online by going to https://www.yaptracker.com/applications/land-of-enchantment-2017.
Singers must complete the online application, submit their resumes, photos, and headshots, and pay the $25 non-refundable application fee.
The following materials are required:
- Audio and/or Video prescreening recordings (at least one (1) audio and one (1) video)
- One (1) headshot
- One (1) resume
Recordings must adhere to these guidelines:
- Applicants must submit recordings of three arias of contrasting selection. The audition arias, should be repertoire appropriate.
- Please state the name of the aria and its composer prior to performing each selection.
- The singer should be in full view for the entirety of the recording, and the singers face should be clearly visible.
- Applicants whose recorded auditions are spliced, edited, or do not meet the criteria listed above are subject to ineligibility for admittance to the program.
- Singers may also be required to sing for a member of the LEOI music faculty at the request of the Artistic Director.